Welcome again to Chain Response.
To get a roundup of KryptoCoinz’s largest and most vital crypto tales delivered to your inbox each Thursday at 12 p.m. PT, subscribe right here.
Annyeong, or howdy, buddies! Whereas I’m sometimes primarily based in New York Metropolis, this week I’m reporting from Seoul, South Korea for Korea Blockchain Week.
The week has been jam-packed with numerous convention occasions in addition to offsite aspect occasions and networking joyful hours. I’ve listened to numerous panels surrounding matters like web3 gaming, enterprise blockchain adoption (I moderated one), institutional adoption, regulatory local weather and investing in Asia.
I additionally saved busy with a bunch of interviews with native specialists in the marketplace evolving out east in addition to individuals who flew in to satisfy with startups primarily based within the area. This implies I’ll be placing out extra articles on KryptoCoinz primarily based on these conversations within the coming days and weeks…so hold a watch out for that.
In the meantime, there was some information that transpired within the web3 world, so let’s get into it.
This week in web3
- Crypto funding in August wasn’t nearly as good because the numbers could lead you to consider (TC+)
- Blockchain tech wants a ‘ChatGPT second’ to scale enterprise adoption (TC+)
- MetaMask now permits crypto cash-out to PayPal and banks, however charges may very well be excessive
- Gleen’s tech-savvy chatbot for Discord and Slack attracts Solana founder in oversubscribed spherical
- The US can’t kill crypto: Actual rules are coming
The most recent pod
For this week’s episode, Jacquelyn interviewed Charlie Shrem, founding father of the Bitcoin Basis, common associate at Druid Ventures and host of the Charlie Shrem present.
Earlier than all that, he was the co-founder and CEO of BitInstant, which was a bitcoin cost processor that began in 2011. Shortly after founding the corporate, he was charged with working an unlicensed money-transmitting enterprise, and for allegedly making an attempt to launder over $1 million by the now defunct darkish net market Silk Street. He spent a little bit over a yr in a low-security jail consequently.
Now, Charlie is a vocal advocate for clearer crypto regulation, he’s a crypto investor, podcaster and even a film producer.
We mentioned how the bitcoin and crypto ecosystems have modified (and stayed the identical) over the previous decade in addition to how his incarceration formed his view on the trade.
We additionally talked about:
- Want for regulatory readability within the U.S.
- Crypto initiatives and sectors he’s following
- How the bitcoin ecosystem is rising
- Recommendation for listeners
Subscribe to Chain Response on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or your favourite pod platform to maintain up with the newest episodes, and please go away us a evaluate should you like what you hear!
Observe the cash
- Story Protocol raised over $54 million in spherical led by a16z crypto
- Area title startup D3 World raised $5 million in a seed spherical led by Shima Capital
- Cross-chain communication protocol Socket raised $5 million from Coinbase Ventures and Frameworks
- Kotani will get $2 million pre-seed to assist African employees ship cash house by way of crypto
- GenTwo raised $15 million in a Sequence A funding spherical led by Point72 Ventures
This record was compiled with info from Messari in addition to KryptoCoinz’s personal reporting.
What else we’re writing
Wish to department out from the world of web3? Listed here are some articles on KryptoCoinz that caught our consideration this week.
- Our favourite startups from YC’s Summer time 2023 Demo Day, Day 1 (TC+)
- Clubhouse is attempting to make a comeback
- Tech firms are discovering their profitability groove (TC+)
- Right here’s why some traders are sitting out of YC Demo Day (TC+)
- EU confirms six (principally US) tech giants are topic to Digital Markets Act
Observe me on Twitter @Jacqmelinek for breaking crypto information, memes and extra.